Bus Display v2 with React, D3, and Mapbox

Recently I’ve been learning React, a javascript framework for building responsive user interfaces (the long game is iNZight-built-with-React, but that’s a long way off). The best way of learning something is by mini-projects, so recently that’s what I’ve been doing! So, when it was pointed out to me last week that my bus display in the University of Auckland’s Science Buildling is broken—turns out it has been since January!—I thought “Ooh, another mini-react-project!

Building my new website

with R ... sort of

I finally got around to building a new website; here's a (brief) overview of why and how I did it.

Several years ago I decided to redesign my website (mostly as a way of learning new web technologies), but what I came up with was ... rather uninspiring. Ever since reading about Hugo, I've wanted to build my website using it (including designing my own theme and templates), but between the PhD and iNZight, I seldom felt like spending my free time doing even more coding! In recent weeks, I've had a slight break from working and found the inspiration to finally get around to the website.

Rocketing Into Spring

My rocket suddenly grew a stem and started flowering!

During the first Kiwi lockdown, I planted some rocket seeds. I've enjoyed several harvests, but it appears that lengthening days have triggered baby-making-mode. Suddenly my stubby rocket plants have sent a long proboscis-like stem into the sky and have started to produce little flowers. In the photos you can see the long main stem (left) shooting up to over 30 cm tall! The last week has been very rainy in Auckland (and I was a little preoccupied with my PhD defense) so I was a little surprised to see everything booming (and even blooming!